We are deSter, part of gategroup. We design and manufacture food packaging, serving both foodservice as airline customers worldwide. By capturing the customer’s unique style and individual needs we create innovative, functional and user-friendly packaging & dinnerware.
We combine our in-house manufacturing, mainly specialized in thermoformed and injection molded plastics, cutlery packs, condiments and aluminum products with strong outsourcing partners.
For our disposable product offerings, we are moving away from plastics and shifting towards more sustainable materials such as fibrous materials (paper, cardboard, pulp, …). By developing brand new production technologies, such as paper forming and pulp molding, we will transform these fiber materials into new products, self-produced in our production facilities. Alternatively/complimentary, we work closely together with selected outsourcing manufacturers for external-produced fiber products.
We are looking to strengthen our R&D team and therefore wish to add an R&D Engineer for fiber packaging & dinnerware to manage the product development of both in- as outsourced product and to support our production technology development.
A hands-on product developer that can manage fiber product developments from initial idea to implementation and effectively balance the commercial, technical and design aspects. An engineer who can support and manage some of the crucial aspects of new fiber production technology development.
Responsible for new product development & technology development
- Manage product development projects from initial idea to implementation and create the best customer solution, considering added value, cost, design and technical feasibility.
- By understanding foodservice and hospitality market environment you are able to set specifications for fiber and cardboard packaging.
- Support presentations. (special specifications, specific selling points …)
- Involved in co-development projects with airline or food service customers.
- Work closely together with Product Management, Product Engineering, Procurement, Design, Quality Assurance, Raw material suppliers and outsourcing /manufacturers.
- Report new product development results to the R&D team to support the technology developments in house.
- Be the contact person for technical advice related to any fiber packaging
Responsible for the specifications of the product/development
- The jobholder is responsible for the specification of the product and responsible for the product drawing, both as input for the quotation process towards suppliers
- Make sure the specifications are in line with the customer expectations on look and feel, usage of the products, operations and logistics
- Responsible for the product approval and introduction of the product. Check if product/samples are in line with the agreed specifications.
- Adjust specifications and products based on learnings from quality
- Propose specs changes to enhance profitability
- Support quality in finding the root causes and solutions for quality complaints
The person will report to the R&D Director
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Product development or Engineering education – Master or similar by work experience
- Experience in product development
- Technical knowledge of fiber packaging/dinnerware (cardboard and/or molded fiber)
- Product development process know-how
- Project management skills
- Computer and software knowledge (powerpoint, excel, word)
- Knowledge of printing techniques is a plus
- Knowledge of ArtiosCAD design software is a plus
- Knowledge of graphical software is a plus
- Market knowledge in aviation and food service is a plus
- Experience in customer presentations and communication is a plus
- Customer and solution-oriented mindset.
- Hands-on mentality.
- Open minded to be able to give different perspectives on problems, processes, techniques & products.
- Well organized, accurate.
- Team player, with ability to function in cross-functional contexts.
- Flexible, both in task diversification and in working hours
- Show of ownership and responsibility.
LANGUAGE AND TRAVEL
- Fluent English in speaking & writing
- Knowledge of Dutch is a big plus
- Willingness to travel internationally. Mostly short trips. (approximately 5% of the total time)